Tony Calvo is an award winning professional guitarist, composer and educator. Born in London (UK) and raised in Malaga (Spain)/Philadelphia (USA), he started playing guitar at the age of 12 and at 18 moved back to London to pursue his dream of furthering his music studies and becoming a full-time musician. He went on to study and train at the London Music School, The Guitar Institute, and the London Arts Consortium.
Since he has performed in venues and stages across the UK, has recorded in numerous high profile studios and been featured in numerous media outlets. He also has over 20 years experience in teaching both privately and in renowned music institutions across London and is a qualified music teacher (QTS).
Although having played electric and acoustic guitar for over 20 years his specialism and passion lies within the Spanish and Nylon guitar. Tony fuses a variety of modern genres with Flamenco guitar, his trademark Spanish stamp. His playing has been described as ‘harmonically rich and exciting, lightning fast and melodically sensitive’.
After a long period in the recording studio Tony released the album ‘Inner Sanctum’ under the band name ´Minology´ with fellow engineer/producer Jonathan Espinosa. The album was released in 2017 and is available on all digital platforms.
Currently Tony is the lead guitarist for De Fuego, the critically acclaimed and multi award-winning Spanish guitar duo and Winner of the Lukas UK Latin Awards for the Classical/Jazz and Folk Act of the Year 2019 Award. Tony is also currently writing his solo guitar album ‘Distance’, a suite of solo Spanish guitar compositions due for release in early 2020. He also runs the Tony Calvo Guitar Academy and his private studio Epping Forest Studios in Epping Forest, London, where he lives.
- London Music School – Guitar Graduate Diploma
- The Guitar Institute/Thames Valley University/London College of Music – BMus (Hons) Degree
- London College of Music – Advanced Studio Techniques Diploma 1 and 2
- London Arts Consortium – QTS Qualified Teacher Status Post Graduate
- University of East London – Mentoring Stage 1 and 2 Post Graduate
- University of East London – Music Teacher Training Education Board Member
- Gerardo Nuñez Flamenco Guitar School – Flamenco Guitar Graduate
- Studies with Shaun Baxter, Eric Roche, Iain Scott, Lee Hodgson, Pete Zeldman, Gerardo Nuñez, Daniel Casares, Manuel Valencia, Javier Patino, amongst many others.
- Tony Calvo Guitar Academy
- University of East London
- Goldsmith University, London
- Spanish Guitar Center, London
- London Academy of Excellence
- SSR Audio Engineering College, London
- Lister Music Department, London
- Park View Music Department, London
- 20 years of private teaching and workshops
- Lukas Award winner 2019
- BBC FM (Radio Interview)
- Thames TV (Video Interview)
- EFE International Spanish News (Video Interview)
- Glastonbury FM (Radio Interview)
- Resonance FM (Radio Interview)
- Vibe 107.6 FM (Radio Interview)
- DPA Microphones (Live Flamenco Guitar Webinar)
- UK Battle of the Bands (Music Director, finalists)
- Creative Media London (Lecturer/Host)
- London Film Festival (Composer)